Saturday 19 November 2011

dancing on tiptoes to ceremonials



I was really happy when I found a copy of Ceremonials in the post room a couple of days ago. My mum sent me it and wrote a letter alongside it: ‘Music to work to x’. It’s all I’ve been listening to and surprisingly I’m still not bored of it!
Florence + The Machine are a huge act selling millions of copies worldwide and selling out every show; however, she still captures the feeling that Ceremonials was produced in her tiny little bedroom with harps, pianos and double basses dissipated all over the place with her voice twirling through. The album fits in well with the current season - it’s dark and mysterious from the lyrics to the album cover itself. Although Ceremonials is the second album by Florence, it still follows the same magical road as Lungs yet we can say it is a progression. Welch spoke out when asked about taking a new direction and said ‘No, no, no I can’t suddenly just leave Lungs behind’ and I’m happy she didn’t. The new album encapsulates both anger and beauty. From the first song ‘Only If for a Night’ we are plunged into the psyche of Florence Welch, travelling through, experiencing her feelings and deep emotions. Each track is produced with the image in mind of Catherine wailing on the Yorkshire Moors with a mournful choir wailing alongside her. (I can’t help but relate Florence to Kate Bush)
All her songs appear to be short stories with a dream-like narrative. She refers to authors and poets in her songs; ‘What The Water Gave Me’ has references to Virginia Woolf (I’ve just recently read a short story by her too.)
‘Shake It Out’, the first single off the album,  completely makes a stand and as silly as it sounds makes me feel happy. It says ‘I’m back and I’m better than before’.
My favourite track (after Strangeness and Charms) is Heartlines. I can’t get enough of the percussion (very Friendly Fire-esque don't you think?) I feel sorry for my flat mate Lauren who lives beneath me. She’s had to listen to me dancing around the room for the past week due to this album.

The official video of No Light, No Light was released yesterday and it's brilliant. Enjoy X 


1 comment:

  1. She is just amazing. Pure love. We adore all her songs.
    All the best

    Jana & Vanessa

    ReplyDelete